Rokusho Jinja (六所神社)

Rokusho Jinja

Haiden of Rokusho Jinja

Rokusho Jinja (六所神社) is a soja — a Shinto shrine where the kami (deities) of a region are collectively enshrined — located in the Kokufuhongo area of Oiso, Naka District, Kanagawa Prefecture.

The shrine is known for the Sagami Konomachi Festival (相模国府祭), jointly hosted with five other shrines of the former Sagami Province (covering most of present-day Kanagawa Prefecture): Samukawa Jinja, Kawawa Jinja, Hibita Jinja, Sakitori Jinja, and Hiratsuka Hachimangu. The festival is held on May 5 at nearby Mount Kamisoroi to pray for abundant harvests and peace in the land. It was designated as an Intangible Folk Cultural Property of Kanagawa Prefecture in June 1978.

The shrine's origin traces back to the Wood Monkey (甲申) year — the 21st year of the sexagenary cycle — during the reign of Emperor Sujin (traditionally dated 97 BC – 30 BC), roughly corresponding to 97 BC, when a clan migrated from Izumo (present-day Shimane Prefecture) naming this area Yanagida-go (柳田郷). They enshrined their ancestral deities — Kushiinadahime-no-Mikoto (櫛稲田姫命), Susanoo-no-Mikoto (素盞嗚尊), and Onamuchi-no-Mikoto (大己貴尊) (Okuninushi-no-Mikoto [大国主命]) — as guardian gods on Ishigamidai, also called Isegamidai, a plateau about 1 km northwest of the shrine's current location. The shrine built there was known as Yanagida Okami (柳田大神).

After the Taika Reform, as the national administrative system became more organized, an imperial decree was issued in Yoro 2 (718) during the reign of Empress Gensho (680–748), designating the shrine as the central shrine for the kami of the eight districts of Sagami Province and the soja of Sagami. The shrine was relocated from Ishigamidai to its present site, and the kami of Samukawa Jinja, Kawawa Jinja, Hibita Jinja, Sakitori Jinja, and Hiratsuka Hachimangu were enshrined together with Yanagida Okami. Because six kami were enshrined together, the shrine came to be known as Rokusho-gu (六所宮), with roku meaning "six" in Japanese.

During the Heian period (794–1185), when the kokufu (provincial capital) of Sagami was established in Yanagida-go, the shrine came to be called "Sagami-no-kuni Kokufu Rokusho-gu" (相模国府六所宮) and "Sagami-no-kuni Soja Rokusho Daimyojin" (相模国総社六所大明神).

During the Kamakura period (1185–1333), according to records and legends, Minamoto no Yoritomo (1147–1199) prayed here for victory before the Battle of Fujikawa, Hojo Masako (1157–1225) prayed for safe childbirth, and sacred horses were dedicated to the shrine.

In the Sengoku period (1467–1573), Hojo Ujitsuna (1487–1541) of Odawara rebuilt the shrine buildings during the Eisho era (1504–1521), and the fourth Hojo lord, Hojo Ujimasa (1538–1590), carried out repairs on the honden (main sanctuary). This structure remains the current honden.

During the Edo period (1603–1868), Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543–1616), the founder and first shogun of the Edo shogunate, granted the shrine 50 koku of land in Tensho 19 (1591) to pray for continued military fortune. The third shogun, Tokugawa Iemitsu (1604–1651), followed suit in Keian 1 (1648), offering an additional 50 koku for national peace and security.

Stone wall
The stone wall supporting the shrine was a donation from the Hojo clan during the 16th century. It was built using a construction technique called Nozura-zumi (野面積み) in which natural, unshaped stones are stacked as they are. The method began in the Kamakura period and became most widespread during the Sengoku period. It offers excellent drainage and has proven to withstand repeated natural disasters for more than 400 years.

Shimenawa

The shrine's haiden (worship hall) has a large shimenawa (sacred rope) hung across the front. Since the kami enshrined — Kushiinadahime-no-Mikoto, Susanoo-no-Mikoto, and Onamuchi-no-Mikoto — have strong ties with Izumo, it is crafted using a distinctive technique known as the Izumo-style Daikoku-jime. Expanding approximately 4.3 m and weighting about 250 kg, it is one of the largest in Kanagawa Prefecture.

Comb amulets
The shrine is also known for its comb-shaped amulets, said to protect women from misfortune. The tradition comes from the myth in which Susanoo-no-Mikoto slays Yamata no Orochi, the eight-headed serpent; to protect Kushiinadahime-no-Mikoto, he transformed her into a comb and placed her in his hair.

Subordinate Shrines

Rokusho Inari Daimyojin Shrine (六所稲荷大明神)

The founding date of Rokusho Inari Daimyojin Shrine (六所稲荷大明神) is unclear, but it is said that it was founded after Rokusho Jinja for abundant harvests in the area.

The kami enshrined is Ukanomitama-no-Okami (宇迦之御魂大神), revered as a deity of clothing, food, and shelter. Today, the kami is also worshipped as the deity for prosperity in business, family safety, good health, and fulfillment of prayers.

Rokusho Ryujin Okami Shrine (六所龍神大神社) & Manryo Pond (万両の池)

On a small island in the middle of the Manryo Pond (万両の池) stands the Rokusho Ryujin Okami Shrine (六所龍神大神社).

Rokusho Higuruma Benten Shrine (六所ひぐるま弁天社) & Senryo Pond (千両池)

On a small island in the middle of the Senryo Pond (千両の池) stands the Rokusho Higuruma Benten Shrine (六所ひぐるま弁天社).

Mizu Shrine (水神社)

Great Mikoshi Portable Shrine (大神輿殿)

Memorial Hall (慰霊堂) & Monument (忠魂碑)

人気ブログランキング ブログランキング・にほんブログ村へ

Comments

Popular Posts