Zuishō-ji (瑞聖寺)

Bell tower

Zuisho-ji (瑞聖寺), formally known as Shiunzan Zuisho-ji (紫雲山瑞聖寺), is the first Ōbaku Zen temple established in Edo (modern-day Tokyo). During the Edo period (1603–1868), when new religions were strictly prohibited, the Obaku school was introduced as a rare exception, brought to Japan by the Ming priest Ingen Ryuki (隱元隆琦, Yinyuan Longqi) (1592–1673).

The temple was founded in Kanbun 10 (1670) by Mokuan Shoto (木庵性瑫, Mu'an Xingtao) (1611–1684), a disciple of Ingen, and the following year its various halls were completed. Ingen and Mokuan were highly regarded for their calligraphy and are counted among the "Three Great Calligraphers of the Obaku School."

The original temple complex suffered major damage in the fires of Kyoho 11 (1728) and Enkyo 2 (1745), but was rebuilt during the Bunka era (1804–1818).

Zuisho-ji also houses the graves of the parents of Ito Hirobumi (1841–1909), Japan's first prime minister.

Main hall

The temple's main hall and sanmon (main gate) are designated Important Cultural Properties by the Japanese government.

Sanmon

人気ブログランキング ブログランキング・にほんブログ村へ

Comments

Popular Posts